UK Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle

Sunday 31 January 2016

Men's Post-Shave Balm as a Primer? Really?

If Nikkie Tutorials tells me to do something, I'm probably going to do it. After watching her time and time again apply Nivea Men's Post-Shave Balm to her face as a primer, I just had to try it out for myself. What Nikkie says goes.
This is my confused face (to convey my apprehension). Before you ask: yes, my hair is now short and yes, I too am obsessed with infinity necklaces (£2 in H&M shh don't shout about it).

Nevertheless, with the price at just £3.50 I was more than happy to investigate whether or not this balm actually works or just makes me smell like a well-groomed man (ain't nothing wrong with that).

Here's how I got on with it and what I learnt along the way...
First up, I would only recommend this for combo/oily skin. If you're dry and need a lot of moisture before priming, this product will simply be too heavy and probably create unwanted texture to your makeup. Hate to be the bearer of bad news (if you're dry do you really need primer though? Life's tough questions...)

If you've passed that stage, let me tell you how this stuff works:
  • You need a clean, dry face. If you can, skip the moisturiser.
  • It absorbs pretty quickly but you do need to give it a good five minutes to ensure your skin is ready for makeup. Once it's absorbed, your skin will feel soft and smooth. Yes, your face will smell a bit manly, but after all your makeup is on you won't be left with any scent.
  • Now, here's where it gets a bit tricky. These days I like to apply my foundation with my fingers (don't judge okay, fingers are your best tools! Someone once said...once...). Newsflash, that process is not available with this primer. If you rub product into it, it crumbles. Disaster. 
  • What you do need is a stippling brush or beauty blender. I'm currently out of love with my blender but have found a Real Techniques stippling brush to work wonders.
Yeah, it's a tiny bit of a faff but seriously, your makeup will stay perfect all day. I have noticed a serious improvement in the way my makeup looks and lasts.

This is a great primer for oily skin simply because it's so good at keeping your makeup on your face! Your makeup stays latched onto the balm and doesn't let half as much oil through. I haven't even been setting my makeup. Absolute result.

Have you tried this out? Let me know your experiences. Yay for strange and affordable primers! xo
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Interesting! I'd never have thought of this one but it sounds like it's worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! It's certainly unusual. Hope you like it! xo

      Delete
  2. I have oily skin so really need to try this! I'm so obsessed with Nikkie Tutorials, I live by her words!

    Kiran | www.alittlekiran.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Kiran it'll be perfect for you! Glad you're a fan too xo

      Delete

© Getting to Nomi

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig