UK Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle

Friday 20 February 2015

Prime Time: 3x Primer Review

Primers are important for our makeup, there's no denying it. They create a smooth base for our skin and help makeup sit well, last well and avoid settling into creases or pores. These three primers are the ones I currently own and they all work a little differently so I thought I would give you guys the low-down. Honestly, finding a good primer is such a struggle...it seems like a stage you can skip but you can spend a lot of money trying them out if you're not careful. Here are my opinions on these few. I hope they help you in choosing your next primer:

This primer is part of the Nivea Daily Essentials range. It's a very good price, at around £4.99 in Superdrug. There are three primers for each skin type. I use the normal/combination skin one. 

The good stuff: I do like the packaging of this in particular; it comes in a really nice looking glass pot. This primer applies like a serum. It's lightweight and smooth. As it's hydrating it doesn't have the same 'silky' effect as silicone-based primers (the other two I'm going to review) in that it simply feels like a moisturiser. 

The bad stuff: I don't really see this as a primer. I like the fact that the silicone-based primers give you that flawless skin finish. This doesn't improve your makeup-free skin's appearance and I don't think it really adds much to the longevity or appearance of foundation. 

Finally, it doesn't aid in combating oil at all. Honestly, I just use this as a moisturiser. 

Final score: 2/10  

This has been all over the blogosphere in the past year or so, so I had to pick it up. This primer retails at around £7.99 and is a transparent gel-like formula.

The good stuff: It does indeed create a perfect 'baby skin' feel (as promised!) It softens and smooths extremely well for a drugstore primer. It also blurs any creasing or unwanted pigmentation  and adds a decent amount of longevity to your base.

The bad stuff: One of the main claims of this product is that is is a Pore Eraser. Hmm... it slightly minimises pores but it isn't anything drastic. You'd need a microscope to see it.

You need a lot of this in one use, even if you only want to cover the T-zone. It's frustrating as it seems to stick to the skin and isn't particulary blendable.

It's also slightly concerning that it says 'only for adults'. Okay so what will happen to kids if this touches them? Will they dissolve?

Finally, with some foundations it reacts badly with the formulation and just turns into a big cakey disaster, particularly one from Maybelline's own range (??), the Super Stay. Bit confused there.

Final score: 4/10. It's okay. If you want to improve your natural skin's appearance then it does work, but if you want to minimise pores and get hold of a product that goes a long way then search elsewhere.
3. Benefit Porefessional

Finally, Benefit's famous primer retails at around £25 for a full size (I have a travel sized one at the moment.) It's a beige-tinted gel-like formula.

The good stuff: See how it says it minimses pores? Oh Benefit, you humble people. This absolutely erases the appearance of pores. I use it on my nose, the sides of my nose (where lots of people have the largest pores), between my brows and on my chin. It makes bare skin look flawless.

The silicone-based formula isn't heavy, but glides on and blurs out any imperfections. I don't understand how it works!

A little goes a long way, unlike the Baby Skin primer. It blends well and you don't even have to work quickly.

This primer also aids the longevity of makeup and provides oil-control.

The bad stuff: I'm running out of it. I find no fault with this. I would coat my entire face with this every single day if I could. Though I don't really advise that... let your pores breathe a little!

Final score: 10/10.

And there you have it. Whilst Porefessional is expensive, nothing I have tried lives up to it. Also, if anyone happens to have tried MUA's primer, please let me know. Or any other miracle primers (preferably that cost less than Benefit!) for that matter. Comment below!
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. great honest reviews! I definitely need to buy the Benefit primer, I've read so many good reviews on it. would love if you could check out my fashion blog? :)

    The Fashion Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I can Louise :) thanks for your comment x

      Delete
  2. Loved this review! I'm in need of a new primer so this definitely helped!

    www.anygivenrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Nivea made a primer! It sounds a lot like the Smashbox Hydrating Primer. I wonder if it's a dupe! I really like the Dr. Brandt Pores No More as a primer--I think even better than Benefit's Porefessional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo haven't even heard of that, will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  4. I've always found primers to be a bit of a nuisance but I've never tried any of these I might actually give them a go! Smooth skin is what I'd be looking for! X

    Silk and Sparkles ootd on the blog now-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma Jane! go for the baby skin one, it'd work well for what you want x

      Delete
  5. love porefessional! great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like using the Porefessional primer by Benefit but I find that it leaves my skin looking dry and a little bit cakey? Maybe it will work better with a different foundation though, will have to try! Great post :)

    Tayla | Daisychains16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tayla! Thanks for stopping by :) This might be more dependent on skin type...I have some very oily patches so I find Porefessional really helpful, but if your skin is a bit drier then I can see how it might not be the product for you xoxo

      Delete

© Getting to Nomi

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig